top of page

Like every old fortress, the Hohensalzburg also has a courtyard. St. George's Church (1500-1502) with St. Christopher was built by Archbishop Leonhard von Keutschach, whose turnip can be found all over the city. Behind it, the old rice train has always transported goods from Nonnberg Monastery up to the fortress. And right next to it the armory (1559), because the Salzburg bishop was also sovereign and had to be able to defend himself. The Venetian cistern in front of it was built by stonemasons from Veneto (1525/1539) so that there was always enough drinking water in the fortress.


Bishops haven't lived here for a long time, but during Advent it's very quiet in the courtyard.

Castle courtyard, Hohensalzburg Fortress

  • Card size 12.0 x 17.0 cm (opened 24.0 x 17.0 cm)

bottom of page